Calculate kWh price for an electric car20 Oct 2019
I have developed a new calculator, that allows you to calculate the kWh price for any electric car: https://toolstud.io/finance/electriccar.php. This is because I am considering buying the Tesla Model 3, and I wanted to compare its mileage/consumption prices with my current car (a diesel).
It takes into account:
- the “size ” of the battery (in kWh)
- the range of the car in (km/full charge)
- the efficiency of the charging process (typically 85%)
- the # km/miles normally done in a year
- a Tesla Model 3 has a range of 530 km with a 75kWh battery
- it is bought in Germany, where electricity is .32 euro/kWh
- To charge the battery fully at 85% efficiency, you need 88kWh, which will cost you 28 euro.
- If you drive 30.000 km/year, this means you will have to charge 57 times/year (5 times/month) and this will cost 1600 euro/year.
Some remarks: globalpetrolprices.com gives you an idea of electricity prices around the world. The cheapest country is Iran with $0.01/kWh and the most expensive one is Bermuda with $0.40/kWh. Even within Europe there are stark differences: Hungary and Bulgaria only charge $0.12/kWh (0.11€/kWh) while Germany is at the other extreme with $0.35/kWh (0.32€/kWh). This means that charging a Tesla Model 3 in Germany costs 37€, while the same thing costs only 13€ in Hungary. That is a 3x price difference.